Tofo is situated 21km south-east of Inhambane City and plus minus 460km from Maputo. Paradise dunes is easily accessible and 4x4 vehicles are NOT required. Most of the road (99%) is tarred and in a good condition although some potholes can be expected for approximately 90km on the northern side of Xai-Xai – we do advise you to drive carefully through this stretch of road.
Paradise Dunes offer self catering cottages sleeping 4, 6 and 8 people respectively. The ethnic houses are 200m from the beach which can be accessed via foot or by vehicle.
Please note that driving on the beach is strictly forbidden and will be fined by officials.
The accommodat ion includes:
- all bedding
- mosquito nets
- cutlery & crockery
- normal SA plugs
- small vault
- male servant (house cleaning, dishes and offloading the vehicles)
- guard at night.
Accommodation does not include:
- mosquito repellent
- toilet paper
- dishwashing liquid, cloths
Things to do:
- scuba diving (charters available in Tofo)
- spear fishing
- snorkel on the reefs
- ski-boat and rock angling (charters available in Tofo)
- buy and braai crayfish, prawns, crab, fresh fish and calamari
- horse riding (off site)
- Spoil yourself at one of the restaurants in Tofo
- Sundowners at Dino’s beach bar
- Visit the fresh fruit and vegetable market in Tofo or Inhambane
- Visit (and support) the bottlestore in Inhambane
- Visit Tofino (less than 5km south from Tofo) and stand in awe of waves crashing against the rocky headland.
- Visit the Frelimo “Monument to Fallen Heroes” in Tofino
The climate is hot and humid all year round, but evenings can become cooler during the winter months (June, July, August) enough to reach for a jumper. Summer temperatures can become extreme reaching an average daily maximum temperature of 30°C with humidity of 80%. Luckily Paradise Dunes is situated on a dune which brings a gentle sea breeze breaking the extreme heat. Most of the rain can be expected during January and February when afternoon thunderstorms are a regular occurrences.
The Mozambique government recently regulated all tourism lodges and selfcatering establishments as NO SMOKING areas. Therefore, please refrain from smoking inside the cottages as some of our guests recently had to pay hefty fines for transgressing the NON SMOKING regulations.